Frequently asked questions

Q1. How can I submit my visa application and how long does it take?

You may choose to submit your visa application to the nearest Chinese Consulate-General in your country or request our Mainland and External Affairs Office (MEAO) to file your application to the Hong Kong Immigration Department. It normally takes a few weeks for MEAO to check your documents and submit your application to the Immigration Department on receiving the full set of your supporting documents. The Immigration Department will take an additional 4 to 6 weeks to process your visa application upon receipt of all relevant documents. Upon successful completion of visa application, MEAO will collect the visa on your behalf and send it to you directly by express.

Q2. As a British passport holder, do I need a student visa to study in Hong Kong?

Yes, if you have never been a resident in Hong Kong, you have to obtain a student visa.

Q3. As an exchange student in Hong Kong, am I eligible to work?

Under the existing immigration regulations, student visa holders are NOT allowed to take up any form of employment, whether paid or unpaid, in Hong Kong. Visitors are not allowed to change their immigration status after arrival except in the most unusual circumstances.

Q4. Do I need to take out medical insurance during my study period?

Yes, you do. All non-local students are required to subscribe to a personal accident and medical insurance/ travel insurance policy that covers medical care and hospitalization during your stay in Hong Kong.