Department of English

Practical information


The transportation system in Hong Kong is excellent. You can travel around the city very easily using the following forms of public transport.

There are three types of taxis running in Hong Kong. Red taxis operate in the urban area of Hong Kong (Hong Kong Island, Kowloon and parts of the New Territories). Green taxis run in the Northern part of the New Territories. Blue taxis run on Lantau Island. If you want to go directly to City University on arrival, take a red taxi at the airport. The trip will cost you around HKD300 and takes approximately 40 minutes.

Airport Express
It only takes you 21 minutes to take the Airport Express from the Airport Station to Kowloon Station, where you can easily change to the Mass Transit Railway (MTR) or taxi. A single trip from the Airport to Kowloon costs HKD90. Visit the Airport Express website for further details.

Rail The Mass Transit Railway (MTR) runs in Hong Kong and Kowloon and even extends to the new satellite towns in the New Territories in the North and the West. City University is located next to the Kowloon Tong station of both Kwun Tong Line and East Rail Line of the MTR.

For the route maps, please visit the MTR's website.
For the Kowloon Tong station location map, please click here.

Kowloon Motor Bus, New World First Bus and Citybus are the three major bus companies in Hong Kong. As New World First Bus runs mainly on Hong Kong Island, visitors to City University will more likely enjoy the services provided by the other two. There are two bus terminals near City University. One is at the Kowloon Tong MTR Station; and the other, the Yau Yat Tsuen (Festival Walk) Bus Terminus. The buses that stop at the former bus terminal run mainly between Kowloon Tong and Shatin. You can get on buses to Kowloon at the Festival Walk Terminal.

Click here to visit the official KMB's website.

The Octopus card is the most widely-used, stored-value travel pass in Hong Kong. Visitors can obtain an Octopus in the Airport and the MTR stations for HKD150, which includes a refundable HKD50 deposit. These cards can be topped up and returned at the above venues. Besides transportation, numerous retail shops allow payment with the Octopus.

For more details about Octopus, please click here.

Travelling to City University of Hong Kong
For further information about transportation, please click here.
For the University's campus map, please click here.

Click HERE to download the address label of City University to show the taxi driver.

Travelling to Festival Walk
Festival Walk is an expansive shopping mall connecting the Kowloon Tong stations of both the Kwun Tong Line & the East Rail Line of the MTR. On Level LG1, you will find an escalator right next to Shop LG1-10, which will take you to one end of the walkway to City University.

For floor plans of the Mall, please visit the Festival Walk website.

Travelling in Hong Kong
More information about travelling in Hong Kong is available on Discover Hong Kong website hosted by the Hong Kong Tourism Board.

Visa information for Hong Kong

In many countries, it is not necessary to obtain a visa in order to enter Hong Kong, however, if you are in doubt, please check this website.